Recipe for Ajvar (Pindzur)
1. Bake peppers on a hotplate or on a stove, peel and clean seeds. Leave cooled peppers to drain and continue with work in several hours.
2. Then, bake eggplants, peel and drain. Grind drained peppers and eggplants in a meat grinding machine and place the mixture into a large pot and start to cook. Add vinegar and stir.
3. Cook around 30 minutes. Stir continuously with a large wooden spoon and after 30 minutes gradually add the oil and stir constantly. Note that oil should not be visible on top. Cook for 1 hour
4. Add salt to taste twenty minutes before finishing.
5. How to know if ajvar is ready? While stirring, if your big spoon leaves a trail at the bottom so you can see the bottom of the pot, then, you know that ajvar is ready. Overall cooking time should be around 90 minutes.
6. Prepare the jars while ajvar is still cooking. Heat them in an oven at 50 C degrees. Fill jars with ajvar after removing from heat. Jars should be hot and ajvar should be also hot. Close well the lids. Keep jars in a dark place.
7. Homemade ajvar is ready to eat! Take a piece of cheese and warm bread and your appetizing fun can begin!